ewitness - Ben Fowler wrote:

> [ snip ]
>
> There are a couple of points.
>
> 1. What I was hoping to do is have entities but no external
> DTD. Is this impossible?

No.

> Or alternatively possible only at
> the penalty of putting a reasonable DTD in the internal
> subset?

If the DTD in the internal subset completely specifies the
grammar (including general entities), the document can be
validated, assuming it is well-formed.

A document without a complete DTD (as in a document using
the DOCTYPE construct to declare entities) can only be
well-formed, never valid.

///Magnus