Daniel Noll wrote:
Thomas Zastrow wrote:

I agree. I didn't thought of bundling FOP directly with the fonts.
Instead, they could be put on another webpage and the user can download
them optional. It was just an  idea, as it was some labour to build the
metrics for my preferred fonts ;-)

I thought the command was basically the same for all fonts, except where .ttc collections were involved. I was (and still am) considering writing some magic code which autocreates the metrics when a new font is discovered.

No need ;) such code already exists in FOP trunk.

We better try to discover the fonts installed on the system and
automatically configure them. Good news, Adrian Cumiskey recently
submitted a patch which does exactly that. Review and application pending...

Huh, that would be the perfect solution ;-)

Only if it results in consistent metrics between PDF and AWT renderers. Otherwise we'll just be bypassing all that convenience to make things render right. :-/

The patch for autodetection of Fonts is only for PDF and PS Renderers. The AWT Renderer gets its Fonts from the JDK which in turn gets its fonts from the Operating System. The difference in font metrics between AWT and PS/PDF exists regardless of the new auto font detection patch.

Chris