Hi Simon,

Can you not use discretionary hyphens in your fo file?

No, that's not possible because the translator only gets a XML file for translation and has no idea where the line breaks will occur.

I think you would have to take the source XML hyphenation pattern
file, and edit that. Then remove the compiled hyp file from the jar
and add the edited source file. You can also compile the source file
(for efficiency); there is an ant task for it.

The only other hyphenation patterns I know are those of OpenOffice.
They are often also derived from the TeX patterns, but not always. I
do not know how to use the OOo patterns in FOP or convert them to FOP.

Apparently OpenOffice also uses the tex hyphenation patterns:

http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/pl-dict
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/SL/Using_TeX_hyphenation_patterns_in_OpenOffice.org

But OpenOffice correctly hyphenates my sample text (Gwarantowany poziom emisji haƂasu jest podany w Danych technicznych). I'm starting to think that the original polish tex hyphenation pattern might be just fine and that there could be some problem during conversion to the FOP hyphenation pattern. Or maybe FOP doesn't correctly use the pattern.

What do you think?

Matthias