Hi,
border drawing design is quite different in FOP current Vs FOP 0.2x.
The former was quite imprecise, and could not easily support extended
border features.

I've tried your test case (from archive [1]) against Acrobat Reader X,
and at normal zoom the display depends on "Enhance Thin Lines" option;
if checked, there is no issue.

When zooming, the issue disappears. So this appears to be related on
how the viewer shows little objects

[1]
http://apache-fop.1065347.n5.nabble.com/Cell-border-rendering-error-thicker-with-number-column-spanned-td17999.html#a37226

--