I also think it's important to note that just because things like mailman
have existed for years and will continue to exist for years does not mean
they're always the best tool for the job. As open source developers it's
also important to be _open_ to change, and always to evaluate what the best
tool to get the job done is. A false dichotomy for sure, but: can I
continue running CentOS 5 or Solaris 10? Sure, but it probably will
stagnate me from doing what I want to do. It's like doing "DevOps" by using
clusterssh to run commands on all your servers instead of a config
management tool.

Greg is right--many would-be new developers _are_ turned off from things
like mailing lists. I know because I used to be turned off by them--and to
a certain extent, still am. There's nothing worse than finding a `-dev`
list on google for an issue you're having and not being able to find or
indeed _know_ if there's a response to a thread: Forum-type solutions don't
have that issue, and as long as they support email, even if it's not
"first", then I think any distruption in workflow, if limited, is worth it
to encourage new voices. I recently graduated from University, and know a
lot of people that wouldn't step near a mailing list for development--and
would be especially reluctant to contribute to them.

To many "next gen" developers, email is not the workflow they will choose
to adopt, and sticking with listservs because they have always been and
will always be is not a good enough reason in my opinion.

(Please note this is mostly random rambling on my behalf, and entirely
opinion based to attempt to give insight from someone who's only recently
joined the whole process)