I think about this in two ways:

 1) Who are our lists for?
 2) How can we provide the most value through our lists to the audience?

Often I find digging up old threads to reference to users more painful than
it should be. Often, I am curious about popular or trending threads and
cannot find this information easily. This latter point I think can be
important for users and developers if there is a hot button breakage or
workflow topic being discussed. Often, when I want to answer a user, I find
the interface of email lists to be limited when it comes to including
screenshots, or writing code blocks. Further, I find asking users for
information to help with debugging difficult because they have limited
options for attachments or screenshots for inclusion. Often I find writing
structured emails for things like proposals or recaps difficult. 75% of the
time I am going to prefer email given it is what I am used to and my
primary interface for everything else. But 25%, I want something more.

If Discourse can help solve these problems, and make the users of the lists
experiences better when interacting amongst themselves as well as
developers then a big ole +1 from me. Mailing lists are great, times
change, users change, requirements change.

Mailing lists are for communication, and whatever increases communication
the most I am all for.

Eric

Eric D. Helms
Red Hat Engineering