Greg, I absolutely understand the motivation, every two years amount
of programmers doubles. That is a crazy amount of newcomers. But these
new people are not idiots and some technical level is required even
for soft roles in our community. And we can make lists approachable
very much like forums.

Do not put me into position of blind and angry dev who can't accept
something different or new. I understand all contexts and I say
Discourse is an overkill that will bother me and possibly others. God
I wish Google Groups are gone, but not for this.

> * do nothing

Honestly, yeah.

> * switch mailing list for minimal improvement

s/minimal/reasonable/

> * switch to a forum, big upheaval but potential big payoff

Sure, because there are no downsides.

It's not about a list standard e-mail headers. The forum has different
workflow and features and there will be new features as well while
mailing list will stay the same. This will screw my inbox. This will
but a wall between e-mail users and web forum users. This is what's
this all about. And I think we don't need to go that direction.

LZ

On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 6:45 PM, Greg Sutcliffe <g...@emeraldreverie.org> wrote:
> One more thought occurred to me while I was out on the nursery pickup, so
> I'll drop here before I bow out for the weekend.
>
> Lukas, I think part of our disagreement is our different goals. As I
> highlighted in the last mail, users behave differently to devs. These days I
> consider myself more user than dev (when did I last contribute code), so I
> have a different world view.
>
> You want to protect a tried and trusted workflow, likely used by many here -
> that's fine. My job is to promote and develop the user community, so I see
> room for improvement.
>
> Here's the catch though... Our future devs, as a community, *come from* the
> user community. If we don't focus there, then we risk stagnating the dev
> community too.
>
> I won't deny this change is a larger net benefit for the user group. The case
> for the dev community is harder to argue. But there *is* benefit, and
> compared to running a list (for dev) and a forum (for users) I think the
> better argument is to use a forum for both.
>
> I don't expect to convince everyone, so this is going to come down to a group
> decision - but not for a while yet. We need to do more tests.
>
> Have a great weekend all,
> Greg
> --
>
> --