For monitoring of what is going on on the foreman-dev/users I prefer to
consume it as a mailing list. It is lightweight and efficient and fits well
to my mail-centric workflow. I understand the benefits of the forum so I
gave Discourse a try to see how it works and if its mailing-list mode
promises smooth transition.

Things I like:
 - searching during new post compose
 - existence of "groups"
 - likes (even work when sent via mail)
 - rich-text messages, syntax highlighting, markdown
 - easy to share links to individual posts

Things I didn't like (I guess some are likely interference with the Gmail
client and some can be tuned up):
 - for some reason the threads are not kept together in my Gmail and the
messages from one thread are split into multiple threads even if they seem
to have same subject. I'm not sure why, it may be because I tuned the
account settings. I'll keep testing this
 - it took about 15 min since I sent mail to the time I received it from
the list (not sure what are the reaction times on the list today but this
won't improve it)
 - mails from Discourse take too much visual space - the footer saying how
to unsubscribe, reply or visit the topic  is included in each message.
First post should be enough. There is also extra username with avatar and
forum role next to User name in the From field. Is this configurable?
 - "likes" are only indicated in forum notifications but not in emails. If
you send '+1' to the list the like is added but no message is sent to the
users (just the notification)

So far for me it is difficult to follow the Discourse discussion using just
Gmail. For further testing I'd like to see more traffic in the Testing
area. I'd also appreciate experience with mailing-list mode testing form
others.

M.