On 15/09/15 13:33, Ondrej Pokorny wrote:
This is because Michael Van Canneyt pointed me to "man sem_overview".
The first Google search pointed me to
http://linux.die.net/man/7/sem_overview  where I found the "Named
semaphores" with functions sem_open,  sem_close etc. with the
description that they can be used across processes. A quick search in
FPC sources pointed me again to the cthreads unit.

All semaphore use has been removed from the cthreads unit in the mean time.

They also should not be used on OS X anymore, because Apple forbids their use in applications submitted to their appstore (I guess because it is difficult for system frameworks to automatically determine whether they are only used in safe way; i.e., in a way that doesn't make the codesigned host application into a proxy for any other application to carry out operations on their behalf).

Jonas