Hi Stephen,

well, I have been working for translation companies for more than 15
years (DTP). There are two ways to handle this:

a) mif files are supplied for translation, mif files are returned (no
dtp involved). This is best if you can handle all dtp yourself.
It is necessary to know which mif version (which FM version) is used,
that is most important.

b) Frame files are supplied and a dtp step is involved for preparation.
In this case, it is preferable to have all details about the layout and
design rules communicated. Fonts should be supplied, graphics should be
supplied (they might also contain text btw).
If you want to get the translations back fully layouted (or get PDFs
ready to publish), you should make sure that your source files are
accurate in the way the layouts are set and formats and typography are
used, so that no one has to guess what was originally intended.

As you can see, b) may need a lot of communication, preparation and data
transfer in both directions. It may of course be useful, but it only
makes sense if there is a certain (recurring) amount of text to be
translated, or if languages are involved where you can not provide the
proper typesetting yourself.

Regards - Tino H. Haida, Berlin

Craig, Alison:

> [...]
> projects and I've never heard of the customer having to provide MIF files to
> a translation bureau.
>
> Are they also returning the files to you in MIF format? If so, this means the
> translation bureau has not opened and tested the finished Frame files - an
> important step in a properly run translation project.
>
> Can I ask who your translation bureau is? I can recommend a couple that do
> excellent work and are very competitive on pricing.
>
> Alison
>
> ALISON CRAIG | TECHNICAL DOCUMENTATION LEAD
>
> Ultrasonix | 130-4311 Viking Way | Richmond, BC V6V 2K9 |
> analogicultrasound.com [3]
>
> T 604-279-8550 EXT 127 | F 604-279-8559
>
> FROM: framers-boun...@lists.frameusers.com
> [mailto:framers-boun...@lists.frameusers.com] ON BEHALF OF Stephen O'Brien
> SENT: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 6:03 AM
> TO: Frame Users (framers@lists.frameusers.com)
> SUBJECT: Trados and FM9 : Company requests files in MIF format?
>
> Hi,
>
> (FM9, Windows 7)
>
> I have a book of 40 files, graphics imported by reference; no text insets.
>
> The translation company want me to provide files in MIF format. I am
> surprised that Trados does not accept the files in .FM format. Is this
> normal?
>
> I have never created MIF files before. At least, it seems like a long manual
> process. Is there a plug-in that does a complete book? I imagine the graphic
> files remain linked by reference.
>
> Any comments are much appreciated. BTW, we plan to upgrade to FM 12 very
> soon. Would that help (not have to convert to MIF?).
>
> Have a good day,
>
> STEPHEN O'BRIEN
> Coordonnateur à la documentation et rédacteur technique senior |
> Documentation Coordinator and Senior Technical Writer
> InnovMetric Logiciels | Software
> sobr...@innovmetric.com
> T (1) 418.688.2061
> F (1) 418.688.3001
> [4]
>
> AVIS DE CONFIDENTIALITÉ/CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: Ce message peut contenir des
> renseignements confidentiels appartenant exclusivement à InnovMetric
> Logiciels inc. ou à ses filiales. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire indiqué
> dans ce message (ou responsable de livrer ce message à la personne indiquée
> ou prévue) ou si vous pensez que ce message vous a été adressé par erreur,
> vous ne pouvez pas utiliser ou reproduire ce message, ni le livrer à
> quelqu'un d'autre. Dans ce cas, veuillez le retourner à l'expéditeur et le
> détruire. Proprietary confidential information belonging to InnovMetric
> Software Inc. and its affiliates may be contained in this message. If you are
> not a recipient indicated or intended in this message (or responsible for
> delivering this message to such a person), or you think for any reason that
> this message may have been addressed to you by mistake, you may not use or
> copy this message, or deliver it to anyone else. In which case, notify the
 r and
destroy the e-mail.

> or visit
> http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/info%40heiko-haida.de [1]