From: framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com
[mailto:framers-boun...@lists.frameusers.com] On Behalf Of Heiko Haida
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 4:04 AM
To: framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject: RE: Trados and FM9 : Company requests files in MIF format?

Hi Stephen,

well, I have been working for translation companies for more than 15 years
(DTP). There are two ways to handle this:

a) mif files are supplied for translation, mif files are returned (no dtp
involved). This is best if you can handle all dtp yourself.
It is necessary to know which mif version (which FM version) is used, that is
most important.

b) Frame files are supplied and a dtp step is involved for preparation.
In this case, it is preferable to have all details about the layout and design
rules communicated. Fonts should be supplied, graphics should be supplied (they
might also contain text btw).
If you want to get the translations back fully layouted (or get PDFs ready to
publish), you should make sure that your source files are accurate in the way
the layouts are set and formats and typography are used, so that no one has to
guess what was originally intended.

As you can see, b) may need a lot of communication, preparation and data
transfer in both directions. It may of course be useful, but it only makes
sense if there is a certain (recurring) amount of text to be translated, or if
languages are involved where you can not provide the proper typesetting
yourself.

Regards - Tino H. Haida, Berlin

Craig, Alison:
Stephen:
For the past 8 years, I?ve managed a significant number of translation projects
and I?ve never heard of the customer having to provide MIF files to a
translation bureau.
Are they also returning the files to you in MIF format? If so, this means the
translation bureau has not opened and tested the finished Frame files ? an
important step in a properly run translation project.
Can I ask who your translation bureau is? I can recommend a couple that do
excellent work and are very competitive on pricing.
Alison
Alison Craig | Technical Documentation Lead
Ultrasonix | 130-4311 Viking Way | Richmond, BC  V6V 2K9 |
analogicultrasound.com<http://www.analogicultrasound.com>
T 604-279-8550 ext 127 | F 604-279-8559