If you are creating XML from 'unstructured' Frame then you are going to run
into this and many other issues. To simply create XML for the sake of XML is
likely a poor approach to take.

Save As gives you output, but the output is restricted by what FrameMaker
defaults to. If you have structured files you can exercise a great deal of
control over the output. If you have FM 7.2 then you can also pre/post process
the XML files that are generated.

Can you expand on how you build the XML? Is my guess that you 'save as' from
unstructured Frame correct? If not and you are using structured Frame you will
need an application file and you will also need to set up Read/Write rules.

If you (or anyone else on the list) are interested, send me an email (but don't
send it to the entire list) and I can provide a PDF file that walks you through
building a very simple, but fully functional, set of files to convert content
to and from XML. There is a simple sample (cool, only one vowel difference)
that I use which can get someone working with this pretty quickly. This is not
a replacement for what you have and shouldn't be seen as a complete solution,
but at least it introduces the concept of building structured files, working
with XML, developing an EDD, setting up an application file and more. It's a
good starting point.

The notes are still rough, but they are based on the hands on seminar I did at
the FrameMaker Chautauqua this year and I'll likely deliver it in a couple of
other places over the next year or so.

Good luck,

Bernard

Bernard Aschwanden