We are having a problem with Frame documents saved as XML, whereby single
quotes are appearing as a Chinese character when viewed in Structured
FrameMaker. Here's the explanation from my colleague:]

----------

Explanation for why they're correct in XML and incorrect in FM but still
correct when saved back to XML.

If I open the template document (naughty, but the template is where this
problem has got to be fixed!) and type some random text, at the moment this
text does not seem to belong to an element and appears in "Times New Roman"
(a font we don't use in the structured application). Smart quotes work. If
we highlight this text and, using the font control on the toolbar, alter the
choice of font to any text font we like (with one exception), the smart
quotes are still correct. However "Arial Unicode MS" automatically goes into
simplified Chinese (at least I think that's what it is). I can't see why;
there's nothing in any of the control files to single out that font or that
encoding.

Unfortunately "Arial Unicode MS" is the Wikipedia font that the MD likes.

If I start FM in the supplied XHTML structured app I can reproduce exactly
the same behaviour; so it has nothing at all to do with what I've been
doing, which is a bit of a relief.

This is probably a question for someone in Adobe.

Can anyone shed any light on this problem?

TIA

Karen West
Technical Writer
Cyberscience Corp