Hi, Art:

Is it possible that the character tag used in the bullet paragraph has a
font-size attribute that varies sometimes, perhaps due to a rounding
error? Similarly, have you looked at the line-space (leading) and font
size of the paragraph format?

Oh, and one more thing: in a narrow column, perhaps the width of the
reference frame is bumping into the column and pseudo-wrapping to the
lower position.

Have you tried using an anchored frame below, with a rule, instead of
the reference frame, just to see if it's stable?

HTH
Regards,

Peter Gold
KnowHow ProServices