Thanks everyone for all the responses.  We are attempting to use the
user variable as an adjective in front of the chapter title.  As such,
the user variable doesn't need to have a page number associated with
it.

Here's the 411:

We have a variable, XX-XX-XX, in the footer on the master page.  The
chapter title is Component Name.  My lead writer wants the TOC to read
XX-XX-XX Component Name, but he doesn't want the chapter to be called
XX-XX-XX Component Name.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to put the XX-XX-XX as the last
paragraph on the body page and just turn the text white so it doesn't
show up.  But of course we then run the risk of having another user
delete it by accident.

Thanks again for all the information!

Deirdre