At 10:37 -0500 7/12/09, Fred Ridder wrote:

>This is beginning to make sense. If the frames are anchored in a paragraph
>that cannot extend across the sidehead area, and the frame is a little too
>wide to fit within that margin, when you set the frame to float it will float
>away until it finds a page that has a text frame that the graphic frame can
>fit within. (This would seem to be one of the basuc use cases that floating
>frames would be designed to accommodate.)  But when it doesn't find such a
>page, it floats away into the ether.

Thanks for this insight, Fred. However, none of the paragraph styles extend
into the side-head margin - so why doesn't every floating frame vanish (which
they don't, only some)?

>As a test, I'd try manually widening the text frame on the page where you want
>the graphic to float to. My guess is that the float will work in this case.

No: if I understand you correctly, then it still vanishes. However, if I make
the anchored frame just less than the main used flow width (i.e. the master
page frame minus the 30-point side-head), it doesn't vanish.

--
Steve