Sincere thanks to everyone who's responded to this, and particularly Baruch and
Philippe, who got there just ahead of me.

Eliminate one thing at a time... The only unusual thing about this file for me
is that it uses a new - to this site - font, Sabon. I purchased Sabon MT from
fonts.com as a PostScript Type 1 and installed it in Classic as normal.

Changing all the Sabon in the test file to Times causes the file to distill as
expected. I tried this again with Officina Serif, and the same results.

Sabon MT is a brand new font, so no possibility of corruption, surely?

I will take this up with Monotype support, but if anyone has an idea as to what
might be happening I'd be glad to hear. I have never seen this problem caused
by a font in, oh, er... eighteen years of using FrameMaker.

Philippe: I don't have the option of using another font, sadly - the designs
are dictated by the publishers.

--
Steve