One thing that might help is the work I'm putting in the Fate project.

The goal there is to cleanup the way Widgets are handled in Archetypes
to do the minimal amount of work possible and avoid calling the
'accessors' nedlessly. To do so, I'm adapting the Archetypes
Widget/Field combo into Zope 3's IWidget interface. That was the first
step. The next step is to re-write the Page Templates used for the AT
Widgets to make use of the same interface.

In doing so, some of the flexibility will have to go. For example,
there are a thousand of ways to override macros in AT Widgets that
no-one uses. I believe it would be worth to drop all of this and
re-think it from scratch how you override parts or all of a widget's
display.

--
Sidnei da Silva
Fax +1 832 201 8856     Office +1 713 942 2377 Ext 214