On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 07:37:19 -0800, Alec Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

For this case such a thing is complete overkill, all we need to do is
rewrite the existing default portlets so that they don't depend on

(…)

Again, the portlets is not the thing I'm looking at here — let's use Sidnei's change to atct_edit (base_edit?) as a better example that illustrates the use case here. The chances of you or a product using the override mechanisms for Widgets is miniscule, and if you do, you can opt for the old template set for one more release — the punishment being reduced performance.

Wouldn't something like this in portal_migrations be nice?

[ ] Include deprecated visual stylings and UI elements where possible
    (Will affect page download times, only enable if you know that)
    (UI elements in add-on products require the old styling.      )

[ ] Include unoptimized templates
    (Might be required in a transition period with some add-ons,)
    (but will affect performance negatively — only enable if you)
    (are sure that it fixes the problem you are experiencing.   )

First one enables the plone_deprecated skin layer (which we are already using), the second one enables the plone_unoptimized skin layer.