On Wed, 16 May 2007 12:33:50 -0700, Martin Aspeli
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I would agree that the current Collections control panel sticks out like a sore thumb and induces a large amount of "huh" in the users I've observed trying to use it, in light of the other control panels we now have in Plone 3 (which really is a whole other ball-game than what we have in 2.x).

Indeed.

I don't think we'll radically improve this in time for 3.0. I don't think we'll radically improve it ever, because fundamentally the abstractions it affords are very low level. Ultimately, it requires a pretty deep understanding of catalogs and indexes and criteria to make any sense to anyone. We wouldn't put the portal_catalog UI in the Plone control panel either.

So, +1 for making this a link from somewhere in the ZMI. atct_tool maybe?

Yup, I believe that was what Alec was suggesting when I spoke to him about
it earlier.

It's a stop-gap measure, maybe we need a more clearly defined "advanced" options that's more in-Plone. But whatever, we don't need to solve that right now and the ZMI largely (possibly badly) serves that function already. I kind of doubt many people are using this control panel right now anyway, or that it will be missed by those not happy to go into the ZMI. If it has more general bits I'm not remembering, we should move those to a more friendly control panel.

I had a look at it, and there's nothing that I would interpret as "general
bits". It's all about index and metadata control.

We'd need to make sure wiggy was happy with such a change at this point, though.

Obviously. Technically speaking it's pretty much a no-risk change, though.
It's not changing any APIs or other assumptions that the beta 3 release
message communicates.

--
Alexander Limi ยท http://limi.net