On 19 August 2010 16:57, Hanno Schlichting <ha...@hannosch.eu> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 4:08 AM, Martin Aspeli <optilude+li...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On 19 August 2010 09:52, Alec Mitchell <ap...@columbia.edu> wrote:
>>> Though I voted against the inclusion of the UUID PLIP on it's own, if
>>> the link-by-uuid PLIP makes good use of it, then it certainly could be
>>> worth including.
>>
>> I'd like to work with David to make sure that happens. It seems like
>> an obvious win.
>
> Please be aware that the link-by-uid functionality is multi-lingual
> aware. As such it relies on looking up the translations of any UID
> target. If you change the behavior to use a different uid mechanism,
> it becomes more expensive to calculate those translations, as we'd
> have to convert from AT UID's to uuid's a number of times.
>
> I'd prefer if we kept all reference / link related functionality to
> use the AT functionality for now.

I'd be very disappointed if we rewrote the link-by-uid feature and
still made it AT-specific. This seems like a step backwards.

That said, I'm sure we could make it intelligent enough to use AT's
UID() as necessary, but also allow other implementations (e.g. based
on plone.uuid).

One way to do that may simple be to let the link-by-uid use
plone.uuid's IUUID interface to look up a UUID, but have an
AT-specific implementation that returns the AT UID. The algorithm's
different, but it won't collide with uuid.uuid1(), which is what
plone.uuid uses.

> Once we have plone.uuid as part of core Plone, I'm planning to rewrite
> LinguaPlone to make use of this instead of the AT uid's. At that point
> we can more easily switch features over to the new mechanism. So far
> as I was hoping to see the plone.uuid feature to make it into 4.1,
> which would give me enough time to finish the LinguaPlone move for
> 4.2.

I guess this is kind of the opposite of what Alec wants. ;-)

> I can only work on this if we do get plone.uuid into 4.1 though.
> Requiring the complete uuid installation as part of a LinguaPlone
> upgrade is too much to ask from users.

Or for anything else that wants to UUIDs, hence the chicken-and-egg problem.

Martin