> plus i dont know if his work is archived
> maybe at MOMA ? anyone know?

Hello all. I do not know and would be interested to hear.

Electronic Arts Intermix has a good set of pages
http://www.eai.org/artistSupportDocs.htm?id=257 , though with less between
1974 and 2004. I wonder if there's not a repository in Ohio?

> It might be useful to think about the highly uneven reception some
artists get and the reasons for that.  Perhaps leaving NYC has some effect,
since most of his later career was in flyover country, Ohio.  Or being a
pretty trippy and psychedelic type of maker in some of his work.  Perhaps
some of it was not being written about enough by critics, or curated into
shows often enough, or touring enough.  But some of it must have also been
precisely because of his ease in shifting from one medium to another, and
thus not fitting into "experimental film" in a pure sense because he also
was involved in video and electronic music and image processing.  It's less
the case now, but for a long time there was a lot of purism in film circles.

All these reasons seem salient to me as well. Speaking to the first and the
last, Ohio has evolved to host for example http://accad.osu.edu/, so no
doubt we agree that it's more flyover country in nyc terms than electronic
arts terms. Surely there's some interesting lag visible here in Jud
Yalkut's readiness to hand, between the centralization that is analog
television and New York and the distributed-global arts presence we're
arriving at by now?

I wonder too how much of the anti-artefactual gesture of the video movement
is here in play. Or perhaps that's a broad stroke.

> When I heard of his passing, I wondered how many younger folks had even
heard of him, much less seen some of his work.

Viewing the work seems the harder bit though, isn't it. It's probably worth
raising my hand to say that, while the distribution channels seem to exist,
at least for certain artefacts, those channels still seem to require a
curator, and I cannot quickly determine if that is for the best.

Corrections appreciated.

--
Al Matthews - http://fatmilktv.com
Atlanta, GA, US  +1 337 214 4688