Usually my students in the first classes of cameraless workshops paint the
film as if it is a long canvas. without paying much attention to the
individual frames. I consider that a "pictorical" approach of painting
film, as opposed to a frame by frame animation. Its hard for them to
visualize the images in motion. while they are painting film, it seems that
they pay more attention to the pictorical way of how the images they are
painting develope on the film strip, but not knowing how they will look in
motion.

Two ways of working, none of them good or bad.

I will quote two contemporary filmmakers that work in a pictorical approach:

Jennifer Reeves and Jennifer West.

Ignacio Tamarit
Lumiton Museo Usina Audiovisual
Cabral 2354, Munro, Vicente López.