Yes. Wow is right. I was the first to express sympathy, and anger that a film showing to a class could have been an issue. But perhaps that was a false narrative?

I do not need to take sides here, just note that there are often two sides, and we should not have jumped to conclusions from one story, even if from an artist we respect. We know that sometimes, experimental filmmakers can, um, be difficult. I would like to think that art schools should accommodate some degree of difficulty from their artists, but there are also limits.

There was a time decades ago when I was  unemployed, broke, and spiraling downward. A filmmaker who I greatly respect (and I know many on this list also do) wanted to me apply for an untenured, full-time position as department chair in the university where he taught. As he described it, the other members of the film department, all tenured, had been fighting to the point where they were no longer speaking to each other. The chair job involved talking about diverse issues with all four of them and then making decisions. I knew and respected the work of two of the other three. But the very fact of this situation, and the search for a chair with this particular job description, boggles the mind, and I felt a stunning lack of respect for the person they were seeking to hire, whose continued employment as untentured faculty would depend upon their votes. I suspected that after a few years of this I would have been forced to retire to the rubber room -- and might never have emerged.

Most of us have passionate beliefs about aesthetic and related matters. It takes temperance and skill to argue them from the full depths of our passions while still letting the people we are arguing with feel acknowledged and respected. I know that at this I have often failed.

Fred Camper
Chicago