I suggest one course of action to avoid such problems- Total boycott of
academia. Find other sources of employment if possible. If academia is the
only alternative in terms of earning an income then withhold your true work
from the academic audience. Create safe, vanilla works for the
administration and the student body and another body of work for yourself
and your true audience (outside academia). Also withhold your true wisdom
from your academic work, keep it secret. Moreover, feed an official
artistic line to your students and co-workers. Play it safe. After all, it
worked for the alchemists for hundred of years.