So it sounds like you are unquestionably accepting that Levine was forced out due to the nature of his filmmaking?

Are the five signatories of that statement lying?

Of course it is true that it is in the nature of some kinds of art making that the artist will believe that she or he has found /the /truth, /the /path, the only correct way of making films or other art. Jessica comments on a facet of this, though I think in some other kinds of artists authoritarianism is not to be found, or will be successfully hidden. But for some of the most original artists, this belief is central to their practice. One only has to read the writings of Dziga Vertov and Robert Bresson, both filmmakers who felt so strongly that their mode of filmmaking was the only true way that they used use words or phrases to refer /only /to their own films to the exclusion of all others to emphasize the correctness of their choices, for examples. One can only speculate as to the nature, if language differences could be bridged, of a "faculty meeting" to discuss the correct  forms of cinema education with a faculty consisting of Eisenstein, Vertov, Epstein, Bresson, Kubelka, Brakhage, Rainer, and, oh, say, Roberto Rossellini, Nicholas Ray and John Ford.

But at the same time, Stan Brakhage, Peter Kubelka, Robert Breer, Hollis Frampton, George Landow/Owen Land, Ernie Gehr, Larry Jordan, Ken Jacobs, Larry Gottheim, and of course others, all taught  filmmaking for many decades. I name these in particular as filmmaker whose work I like, in most cases hugely. All showed their own films as part of their teaching practice. Does anyone know of cases in which these filmmakers got into trouble with their schools over the nature of their completed films, or for their expression of their ideas about their art? Some have troubles, but more due to the nature of their personalities, is that not right?

With so many nations sliding into dictatorship, we who are privileged to live in relatively free nations should appreciate, and try to preserve, what we have, taking care to make accusation about the abridgement of academic freedom only when it has really occurred.

What you are advocating implies an inner split that is probably impossible for most of us to put in practice in the long term, but is also fundamentally dishonest. Hired to teach one's beliefs, and not directed to conceal them, the filmmaker is then to spend a career lying about them? Is that even fair to the students, or to the school? Would such a course not make the world a fundamentally worse, rather than better, place? Haven't we seen enough lying, especially when it is not absolutely necessary?

Avoiding academia entirely might be a good idea, if one can manage it. I  think Markopoulos's films only got greater, after he left teaching and the U.S. I certainly felt freer in many ways when I could survive as a freelance writer, working mostly for a for-profit newspaper, than when I turned to teaching at allegedly high-minded not for profit institutions. At the same time, I have been relatively free to work my own beliefs about cinema and about art even in predesigned courses in which I have to teach certain elements I did not decide on (though also do not oppose). And I feel sure that for many, alternative-to-teaching jobs might be far worse than teaching.

Fred Camper
Chicago