Or, have you not read this whole thread? Did you notice all of Scott MacDonald's comments? One of the worst things about this list is people running off at the mouth in threads that they have not read all of, and thereby making false accusations against others on our very own list, as recently happened to me. (When I asked for a correction, the person who made the misstatement replied that she was much too busy to get further involved.) The extreme disregard of facts in our broken political culture sometimes has faint echoes here.

Fred Camper
Chicago

On 4/11/2018 9:33 PM, Salah Hassanpour wrote:

Isn’t this a tacit admission of that faculty’s gross incompetency as far as failing to exhaust appropriate ways to deal with these situations before allowing them to escalate to the point where compelling what ought to have been an emeritus faculty out of their job is deemed the proper course of affairs?

Salah Hassanpour

*From: *Fred Camper <mailto:f...@fredcamper.com>
*Sent: *April 11, 2018 22:28
*To: *Experimental Film Discussion List <mailto:frameworks@jonasmekasfilms.com>
*Subject: *Re: [Frameworks] Forwarded from Massart Faculty

Yes. Wow is right. I was the first to express sympathy, and anger that a

film showing to a class could have been an issue. But perhaps that was a

false narrative?

I do not need to take sides here, just note that there are often two

sides, and we should not have jumped to conclusions from one story, even

if from an artist we respect. We know that sometimes, experimental

filmmakers can, um, be difficult. I would like to think that art schools

should accommodate some degree of difficulty from their artists, but

there are also limits.

There was a time decades ago when I was unemployed, broke, and

spiraling downward. A filmmaker who I greatly respect (and I know many

on this list also do) wanted to me apply for an untenured, full-time

position as department chair in the university where he taught. As he

described it, the other members of the film department, all tenured, had

been fighting to the point where they were no longer speaking to each

other. The chair job involved talking about diverse issues with all four

of them and then making decisions. I knew and respected the work of two

of the other three. But the very fact of this situation, and the search

for a chair with this particular job description, boggles the mind, and

I felt a stunning lack of respect for the person they were seeking to

hire, whose continued employment as untentured faculty would depend upon

their votes. I suspected that after a few years of this I would have

been forced to retire to the rubber room -- and might never have emerged.

Most of us have passionate beliefs about aesthetic and related matters.

It takes temperance and skill to argue them from the full depths of our

passions while still letting the people we are arguing with feel

acknowledged and respected. I know that at this I have often failed.

Fred Camper

Chicago