http://politicalirony.com/2009/12/10/what-if-2/

This comic about global warming has a person presenting at a 'Climate
Summit' conference with a list of all the benefits to the earth and
society of moving to green energy. A person in the audience stands up
and says, "What if it's a big hoax and we create a better world for
nothing?"

Ben Finney pointed out that the way hackers treat each other is often
shitty. I feel like we almost need a geek version of this comic. "What
if it's not sexism [keeping women out] and we create a more welcoming
community for nothing?"

Dennis made a very interesting point:

"We base the standard on male behaviour, because that's what
progressivism has defined as the goal.  But to do this, is to assume
that the men know better.  It is to assume that if women behave
differently, then it is the woman's behaviour we need to alter."

(I don't know what you exactly mean by progressivism, but with
s/progressivism/patriarchy I agree. :))

Basically, traits associated with men tend to be lauded, and traits
associated with women tend to be trivialised and dismissed.

So, why is that?
Masculine traits are inherently or objectively better in some way,
more meaningful, useful?
Or is it that society values men and the masculine above women and the
feminine? The judgement of the traits reflect the worth (to society)
of the people who practice them, not vice versa. i.e. women's
activities are silly because women practice them, not: women are silly
because their activities are silly.

Feminism acknowledges that this bind is bad for both men and women.
The restrictive sterotypes harm both men and women. Men face a huge
amount of social pressure not to embrace things associated with women.

I agree that the focus on 50/50 or any other particular ratio is not
super helpful. We will know when it is enough when women in X groups
fall apart due to lack of interest.

This thread started because Bianca posted the HOWTO as a gentle
reminder of some good things to keep in mind. So also keep in mind
that when you are thinking or asking "where's the evidence that women
are kept out/turned away from FLOSS by the behaviour of men?", there
are women in your group who are speaking to you (collectively).

Please don't interpret this as a suggestion to quiz her about
specifics of precisely what she had in mind. Being expected to be a
bearer of all wisdom on the problem of women in free software is,
well, yet another reminder that there are few others to ask! Many
points in the HOWTO point this out.

One final point. It makes sense to think that everyone experiences our
community in roughly the same way as we ourselves do, as broadly
welcoming and friendly. It can be confronting when we are told
otherwise. How could we not have noticed?
I think a useful concept here is that of privilege, which describes a
set of advantages that a majority group receives, that they are
usually unaware of.
http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Privilege
As one blogger puts it, "Privilege is driving on a smooth road and not
even knowing it."
http://www.amptoons.com/blog/2005/12/02/privilege-is-driving-a-smooth-road-and-not-even-knowing-it/
"Imagine two roads: one smooth, well-paved, well-maintained, the other
lumpy and full of cracks and pits. Most people will drive over the
smooth road without even noticing it – but that doesn’t mean that the
smooth road hasn’t facilitated their driving. Nor does it mean that
the person driving on the smooth road has more merit, as a driver,
than someone stuck on pothole avenue."
In many different ways that society divides people, it is hard or near
impossible to switch from one road to the other. Acknowledging that is
not to blame everyone on the smooth road for the potholes. Feeling
guilty about privilege isn't helpful, but there are things that people
with privilege can do to share it and support those without it. This
post has some great advice:
"'Check my what?' On privilege and what we can do about it"
http://blog.shrub.com/archives/tekanji/2006-03-08_146
like "Call Others of Your Group on their Crap", which relates to
something Bianca said earlier. "Privilege is perpetuated in part by
the silence of people when one of their own group does something
questionable."

I'm at LCA this week and if you would like to discuss this in person
please feel free to approach me and say hi. Ben Sturmfels knows who I
am so ask him if you're not sure :)

regards,
Brianna