It seems Mike Smith wrote:
> > Our boot blocks/loader dont have the needed computrons to use the
> > "ad" device name. However I have some patches to boot2 that allows
> > to boot off an ad root device, provided you dont use the loader, and
> > put the rigth boot string in boot.config.
>
> This should now be totally redundant as long as your /etc/fstab entry
> is correct.

Define "correct" then please, it doesn't work for my definition...

-Current as of aug 21th...

If I have this in my fstab:

/dev/ad0a               /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/ad0f               /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad0e               /var            ufs     rw              2       2

And have NO wd* entries in /dev, it says on boot:

Changing root device to wd0s1a
Changing root device to wd0a
mount: /dev/ad0a on / special device does not match mounted device.

Bummer!

If however I have a /dev/wd0a it will mount that and show that in
a mount/df command, but then it doesn't fit what it is written in
/etc/fstab and that is bogus too...

So I still stick with my statement that the -current bootblocks/loader
doesn't have the computrons needed to use the ad device (or any non
wd/da/fd device for that matter) for anything usefull :)

-Søren