Hi all,

Over the past 18 hours, I've received 22 emails in this thread.

In email number 5, sent a mere 25 minutes after the thread started, gabor@
said that he agreed that the performance penalty in BSD grep compared to
GNU grep was excessive and that he was going to revert back to having GNU
grep as the default.

Why are we still discussing this?  If and when gabor@ (or someone else) has
improved BSD grep performance and thinks that it's time to flip the switch
back again, I'm sure there will be ample opportunity for everybody to run
their favourite grep benchmarks, report numbers, and discuss the performance
differences before BSD grep is (re-)made the default.

--
Colin Percival
Security Officer, FreeBSD | freebsd.org | The power to serve