:In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Matthew Dillon writes:
:>:I don't see anything justifying an immediate MFC in this patch.  Please
:>:allow the normal waiting period to elapse before you MFC.
:>    Unless you can justify a reason for it NOT to be MFC'd immediately, I
:>    see no reason to wait for this particular baby.  
:Sorry, Matt, that is not the way it works.  Unless there is an overriding
:issue, things do not get MFC'ed immediately.
:You have only cited reasons why it would be much more convenient for you
:personally to MFC right away, that is not enough to justify an immediate
:Poul-Henning Kamp       | UNIX since Zilog Zeus 3.20

    I'm sorry, Poul, but you are going to have to come up with better
    reasoning then that. 

    Not all changes committed to -current require a waiting period before
    being MFC'd to stable.  Specifically, simple and obvious bug fixes 
    certainly do not need a waiting period.

    My reasoning has nothing to do with what is or is not personally 
    convenient for me, and frankly your insinuation that it is is rather
    insulting.  After all, look how long I've waited for the SMP
    patches before considering MFCing those?  It sure would have been 
    more convenient for me to MFC them a week after 5.0 stabilized and
    before I began work on other patch sets but I didn't.  Due to the gravity
    of the changes I thought it would be best to give them a really good
    test run under 5.x (and note:  I received permission from 
    Jordan to MFC the SMP stuff weeks ago, and even with that permission 
    I decided to wait).

    I do not consider the linux scripting patch to be a major infrastructure
    change, I consider it to be a simple bug fix.  If you have a functional
    issue with the patch I'm all ears.  If you disagree with my assessment of
    the triviality of the linux scripting patch, then I will ask for a
    second opinion from someone who is not quite so jaded in regards to my
    commits... say Jordan or DG.

                                        Matthew Dillon 
                                        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

To Unsubscribe: send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
with "unsubscribe freebsd-current" in the body of the message

Reply via email to