:: the kernel stabilizes, or expect large doses of pain.  This tag will be
:: laid down as soon as June 26, 00:00 PST, with a minimum 24 hour warning
:: beforehand.
:
:Thanks for the fair warning.  Now don't do it.  Has core approved
:this?  I don't think so, I've seen nothign from them about it.
:
:The instability ni -current for MONTHS is pain not acceptible.  We've
:never really allowed that in the past.  A CVS branch would be mcuh
:better for this sort of thing.  I know that's a pain as well, but this
:is just for SMP people and the rest of us shouldn't have to deal with
:the pain.
:
:I understand your desire to have it all in a working tree, but causing
:pain for ALL developers for potentially MONTHS isn't a reasonable
:request.
:
:Warner

    The problem is that the changes are simply too extensive to be able
    be able to split them off then merge them back into 5.x N months later.
    Creating another branch will tripple the workload on anyone doing
    merge work.

    We knew we'd probably have to do it this way months ago, and Chuck
    Paterson of BSDI confirmed it when he related his experiences with
    trying to manage the BSDI 5.x MP stuff as a separate branch.
    In short, it was a complete disaster, and I have no doubts that
    trying to manage it as a separate branch in FreeBSD would also result
    in a complete disaster.

    We've known this day was coming for ages... ever since Jordan announced
    the BSDI merger.  Jordan and other core members have hinted, intimated,
    and outright told people that FreeBSD-current would be used for the BSDI
    merge work.  Well, the time is now folks!

                                        -Matt
                                        Matthew Dillon
                                        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>