On Sun, 6 Aug 2000, Donn Miller wrote:

>Anyone know why these devices want to attach to the ISA bus on a primarily
>PCI bus machine?  My MoBo is an Asus SP97-V, which has a mixture of ISA
>and PCI slots.  I was wondering maybe if even machines that have all PCI
>slots, that there's still an internal ISA bus?  Check out my dmesg.

I've got a machine with an Abit SL6 w/ AGP/PCI/CNR onboard, but no ISA
slots, and it still has an ISA to PCI bridge built in.  Some of the
devices still register with the kernel on the ISA bus, even though they
are quite obviously connected to the PCI bus.  I suspect that some of
these devices may be tied to the ISA bus in the BIOS for arcane PC/AT
reasons.  I would be interested to know details though, if someone could
spare a moment to give an over-the-top explanation of why this is true.

Brandon D. Valentine
bandix at looksharp.net  |  bandix at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
"Truth suffers from too much analysis." -- Ancient Fremen Saying