* Donn Miller ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [000816 14:43]:

> This is on a recently-built -current box.  When I try to move ftp from
> port 21 to port 2121 in /etc/services, I get a "Connection
> refused" message when I try to login to anonymous ftp sites.  Should ftp
> be this dependent on /etc/services?  What if you _have_ no services
> running, e.g. inetd & portmap?  Returning ftp to port 21 in services fixes
> this problem.  I posted earlier about my problems with ftp recently.

The name to port mapping for a service is used by two processes on your
system: the ftpd daemon and the ftp client.  Modifying the port in
/etc/services did move the daemon, but it also makes the client look up the
new port when it wants to establish an outbound connection.

Possible solutions:

1. If your FTP daemon can run in standalone mode, it may offer an option to
change the port it listens on.

2. You can create an alternate service name with the new port in
/etc/services ("myftp" for example), then change the entry in inetd.conf to
make the daemon run on the alternate port.

--
j.

James FitzGibbon                                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Targetnet.com Inc.                              Voice/Fax +1 416 306-0466/0452