Christopher Masto wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 07:23:40PM -0800, Charlie Root wrote:
> > There is definately a trend to lower prices.  I just found this.  A
> > new intel Intel PRO/Wireless 2011 LAN access point and two pcmcia
> > cards for $699.  The access point sounds interesting.  I personally
> > would like to use it as a repeater and network bridge.
>
> I am told that the Apple "AirPort Base Station", which is $399, works
> well and can be configured with the Java-based thing in the ports
> collection.  I am further told that the Lucent/ORiNOCO RG-1000 base
> station is virtually identical, although more expensive and somehow
> inferior, although I don't understand the exact inferiorities.

They're the same thing in different cases, it's hard to see how one can
be superior in any way other than price.

> I am thinking of getting one of these things, despite my strong desire
> to avoid owning such a stupid looking piece of hardware.

Wait for the LinkSys; the dual antennas and price differential will be
worth the wait.  If the plethora of 802.11b equipment at BSDCon 2k is
any indication, interoperability should be pretty good.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                           http://softweyr.com/