Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:

> -On [20001227 20:05], Andrej Cernov ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> >Yes, it is a per-FS hack, but until iconv or something like will be
> >integrated, some hack needed just to read CDs selling at nearby shop.
>
> As far as I know, Boris Popov was working on iconv() support.
> I see he is cc:'d, so I happily await his ideas/statusupdate.
>
> Furthermore, even though I only use special characters for Dutch,
> German, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Finnish and Icelandic, I feel that
> _if_ we start to add Unicode support we do it right from the beginning.
> Unicode was meant to solve the native character set problem for all
> languages [as far as my knowledge stretches] and should not be a
> working, but ugly, hack which only allows per-language solutions.
>
> If you want to have people to have the ability to mount their CD's with
> Russian characters by all means provide the patch on your website.
>
> I am by all means not an l10n or i18n hacker nor wizard, otherwise I
> would've dedicated my ample time working on this and solve it once and
> for all with all other interested parties.
>
> In short: please do it right from the start.

Please look at the code in question before starting to complain. My patch is
not only for Russian users - it provides an ability to load *any*
Unicode->single-byte-coding conversion table or even several those tables at
once. Therefore if you want to mount CD with filenames in Dutch, German,
Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Finnish and Icelandic [insert your own single-byte
language here]  then create appropriate table and load it on mount.

-Maxim

          • ... Motomichi Matsuzaki
            • ... Maxim Sobolev
              • ... Michael C . Wu