Warner Losh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I'd like to see a bias against major bumps remain in place, but I
> think that this change requires one.  That is, we still don't
> generally bump major verions, but are allowed to when the pain is
> major.

We can keep that bias by using temporary three-digit majors in
-CURRENT and backing down to a single-digit major right before the
first -RELEASE. In this specific case, we'd go from 5 to 500 or 501,
then back to 5 right before 5.0-RELEASE; this will still screw people
with older-than-feb-10 systems but at least they'll have plenty of
time to rebuild their ports and stuff. For 6.0, we'd go straight from
5 to 600 or 601, then down to 6 right before 6.0-RELEASE, and nobody
would get screwed. You know it makes sense.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

          • ... Paul Richards_imap/mail.originative.co.uk/Inbox.sbd/New Mail.sbd/OpenLDAP.sbd/Devel
          • ... David O'Brien
          • ... Brian Somers
        • ... Warner Losh
      • ... Garrett Wollman