>Looks like I've got a similar problem only its aic7880/wide
>
>I've got a Dell optiplex 450 with an Adaptec 2940uw controller which can
>boot but can't "mountroot".

Perhaps something happend recently that makes it difficult to get
"largish" chuncks of contiguous memory?  You'll have to instrument
the driver to find out where the attach is failing.  Start by going
into aic7xxx.c:ahc_init() and adding a printf to all of the early
returns.  If that doesn't catch it, do the same for
aic7xxx_pci.c:aic7xxx_config().  I'll add this logging the next
time I touch the driver.

--
Justin