Matt Dillon wrote:
>     In regards to UUCP as a port, I think it's a good idea.  There is
>     nothing preventing us from including the dist files in the CD
>     distribution so network connectivity is not needed for someone to
>     install it.
>     If someone else puts together the port I would be happy to provide
>     disk space & net access for the fetch.  I have good network
>     connectivity (a T1), not that I expect a uucp port would actually
>     require much in the way of bandwidth.   The 'cpdup' port only
>     generates 159 downloads a month and I expect a 'uucp' port
>     generate much lower numbers, maybe 10 a month.

FYI, any committer can use the public_distfiles mechanism...

peter@freefall[1:07pm]~/public_distfiles-101> ls
hexpert-2.4.1.tar.gz    hexpert-2.4.tar.gz

These get automatically replicated to every ftp mirror:

peter@ftp-master[1:09pm]~-111> ls /pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/peter
hexpert-2.4.1.tar.gz    hexpert-2.4.tar.gz

peter@overcee[1:09pm]~-103> ftp
ftp> dir
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for '/bin/ls'.
total 16
-rw-r--r--  1 1006  1006  6736 Apr  8 20:02 hexpert-2.4.1.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 1006  1006  6741 Mar 10  2001 hexpert-2.4.tar.gz

This replication happens within a few hours.  People submitting ports
should be able to arrange with the person committing it to use this if