> Hmm, cdrecord can be used with the ATAPI sunsystem as it is, I did
> patches for this long ago, but noone picked it up as a port...

I remember you saying that you had these, but you weren't willing to
release them for some reason; something to do with the GPL...

> > What functionality is lost by this ability?
>
> Compare the features of the ATAPI vs SCSI CD drivers..

Yes, but the way the author implements this, he's not using the scsi cd
drivers... he's just using the SCSI pass interfaces.

> > If it has so many problems... why not just clean it up? Just curious...
>
> Fine by me, but do you also volounteer the time and expertise to do that ?
> This is the usual case of "we want it all" but noone is willing to
> invest the time and energy to keep it floating.

Well, I'd be glad to maintain it if I had 3 things... commiter status,
knowledge of the ATA subsystem, and knowledge of the CAM subsystem. Right
now I don't know much about any of these mainly because I havn't had time
to look.

> I'll state it again, I have no problem with having ATAPI being
> available through CAM, I'll even do the initial commit to ensure
> integration is done in a way I can live with in the ATA/ATAPI
> driver. But I do have a problem with what comes after that, I
> do *not* have the time nor motivation for keeping this working
> and upto date, let alone answering end user questions about
> what works and what doesn't.
>
> Do you guys have any idea what amount of time it takes to keep
> modern device drivers etc up to date on HW that gets new versions
> and types by the week ? I could use the hours I put into this
> each and every week (and have done for the past 3 years in case
> of the ATA/ATAPI driver mind you) for playing with my kids or
> take the vife for a dinner in town, so excuse me for beeing a
> little bit pissed when you say "why not just clean it up"...

Well, I didn't mean it to piss anyone off... just a question really...

> Now, I ask for someone with the time, the knowledge and the
> motivation to do the maintenance work on this when/if it
> gets into the sources, thats all.
>
> This is a volounteer driven project guys, you give some and
> then you may be getting some..
>
> I'm getting tired of giving and only getting requests for
> more in return...

As I've said before, I'd love to contribute to FreeBSD in anyplace that
needs contributed to, I really just don't know where to start.

Ken