On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Stephen Hilton wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 05:41:07 +0000 (GMT)
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (P. U. Kruppa) wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am looking for a concept to back up some Win2k workstations on
> > a FreeBSD machine. Can this be done and how?
> >

> Setup a Samba server on the FreeBSD box, then use the native
> windows backup tools to backup to the Samba share. Archive
> backups on the FreeBSD/Samba machine to tape/CDRW etc... with
> tar. If file compression is enabled in the windows backup
> utility then avoid using compression in your tar command as
> you will waste a lot of CPU power for very little compression.
This seems to be the simpliest method, because I already have got
a running Samba Server. I can do a backup of C: besides some
files which are locked because they are in use.
Before I try a crash test:
How could I do a restore - assuming the worst case: C: is
completely deleted?
Do I have to boot the Win2k CD-ROM?

Regards,

Uli.