First results after enabling debug output for ukbd:

My key presses are being processed, I see various ukbd_intr... and key_pressed
messages. So you were right - the USB driver is not to blame.

Apparentlyhowever, GELI  doesn't receive any key events. I enabled
kern.geom.eli.visible_passphrase but the GELI prompt doesn't show anything.
Quite strange...

I'll check geom_eli.c again to maybe identify the changes from 9.0 to 9.1 that
could be responsible. If anyone has a better suggestion, I'd gladly give it a
try.

 -

---