HPS,

Thank you for your prompt response.  I reviewed the webpage link you have
provided.  I assume that would be a template for an entry in
/etc/devd.conf, however what I do not understand is what is the FreeBSD
equivalent of "FTDI_SIO" that can be called in the "action" line?

The first step I would like to accomplish is to simple make the device work
at the command line, then I can automate the steps within /etc/devd.conf.
Right now, I am struggling to find documentation that is fit-for-purpose
for USB.  I would like to figure out if libftdi is the proper solution or
if I must use uftdi.  If I need to use uftdi, then specifically how do I
force uftdi to attach to a custom vid/pid?

Regards,

-Burton

--
Your mind is like a parachute, it works much better when it is open.