On 11/10/15 17:55, Burton Sampley wrote:
HPS,

Thank you for your prompt response.  I reviewed the webpage link you have
provided.  I assume that would be a template for an entry in
/etc/devd.conf, however what I do not understand is what is the FreeBSD
equivalent of "FTDI_SIO" that can be called in the "action" line?

Hi,

FreeBSD doesn't support that you add a VID and PID to a driver runtime.

The first step I would like to accomplish is to simple make the device work
at the command line, then I can automate the steps within /etc/devd.conf.
Right now, I am struggling to find documentation that is fit-for-purpose
for USB.  I would like to figure out if libftdi is the proper solution or
if I must use uftdi.  If I need to use uftdi, then specifically how do I
force uftdi to attach to a custom vid/pid?

You will need to add a vendor/product entry in this table:

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/dev/usb/serial/uftdi.c?revision=286385&view=markup#l273

--HPS