Hi!

Ok, so the rundown on the USB stuff.

The athn (openbsd/netbsd) and ath9k_htc (linux) NICs are little USB
things that have a normal (yes, normal) atheros chip in them.

There's three main flavours:

* AR7010 + AR9280
* AR7010 + AR9287
* AR9271

Now, the AR7010 is a little CPU with memory, flash, USB and PCIe. A
normal wireless chip plugs into the side.

THe AR9271 is effectively an AR7010 (with different memory/flash
layout) with an AR9285 glued directly to it inside. No PCIe.

So, the other drivers implement this by adding USB stuff to the PCI
driver (ie, "ath" would grow USB methods), add HAL support for the
AR9271 (as it's a new wifi chip, but there's not much code to do it!)
and a handful of USB commands that the driver would call to do things
(like add/delete a wireless node, transmit a frame, blink LEDs, etc.)

I have all the hardware, I just don't have the time.

I started hacking on an AR9170 driver but I quickly got stuck dealing
with writing "correct" basic USB handling for command transmit and
reception.

So, if you'd like to bring up FreeBSD on the AR9271, I really suggest
you first get an AR7010 + (something) NIC, as the existing driver/HAL
already supports the AR9280 and the AR9287. Once that's done, bringing
up AR9271 is easy (read: adrian merges in the HAL changes and bats at
it with a big stick until it works.)

-adrian