--On 31 July 2015 16:17 +0200 Roger Pau Monné <roger....@citrix.com> wrote:

This is a bug then. You should be able to boot without XENHVM/xenpci,
and get a pure HVM guest with no PV devices at all.

I'm just setting up another less critical system to reproduce it. To confirm, I just take GENERIC and remove 'XENHVM' and 'xenpci', and it should boot without PV.

I'll post the results / panic & exact versions when I get it (though some goes off the top of the console = could be interesting).

Since this seems to be getting quite popular (booting without PV
devices), I think adding a sysctl to disable PV nics and PV hard drives
would be interesting. We could still use some of the PV goodies, like
the timer.

Can you technically have a system that has HVM network (i.e. realtek) but still has disk PV, and/or is agile? (i.e. can run xen-tools)?

That'd kind of be a 'perfect' workaround for all our network woes (openvpn, routing etc.) at the moment - even if the performance of HVM re0 isn't as good as a PV xn0

Cheers,

-Karl