On 8/26/07, Andreas Røsdal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Aug 2007, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > As you are probably aware, I (vasc) am no longer actively coding for
> > this project. I used to be active in the past, before I, and the other
> > maintainers, felt we had better avenues to pursue and went elsewhere.
> > But we still have a place in our heart for this project. See:
> > http://www.ohloh.net/projects/3229/analyses/latest/contributors
> >
> > We have some new manpower but the House of Freeciv is a bit ruined.
> >
> > Dust and mothballs are piling up. I believe the first place to start
> > with, now that the game code and data, our crown jewels, are safe, is
> > communication. I believe e-mail lists, news, forums are relics of the past.
> >
> > We should offload all our public group communications to Google Groups.
> >
> > Why?
> > - Nearly everyone already has a Google account.
> > - The freeciv-dev and player forum discussions are public anyway.
> > - It takes no extra maintainer effort from us.
> > - It does e-mail and it does web forums.
> >
> > Please discuss.
>

> Hello,
>
> I think that Freeciv still should have this mailing list, it's has
> probably been crucial for the project in the past, and I don't think that
> has changed much. Many of the successfull open source projects still use
> mailing lists.
>
> Why is the "House of Freeciv a bit ruined"? I would think that there are
> still a lot of people interested in the project...  :-)
>

>   - Andreas R.

Google Groups are nice and spiffy and everything, but are they really
a web forum replacement? One of the wonders with a web forum is the
very low threshold of participation. I can think of several non-techie
contributors who started out as anonymous posters there...

Vasco, by "dust and mothballs" do you mean in the code base, or is it
the infrastructure that is collecting dust?

 ~Daniel