Joan,

I'm not a developer, really just a lurker, well, and a tweaker--on looking at
the messages you changed (thanks, btw), I wondered if they could be improved
any further--see below.  Maybe you can take them even further.

regards,
Randy Kramer

On Friday 02 November 2007 06:46 pm, Joan Creus wrote:
> When I started playing Freeciv, the sentence in the documentation that
> puzzled me most was "May become veteran through training or combat". Combat
> was clear, but I kept looking for ways to train my units *after* they had
> been built. Laugh at me if you want, but it took me a while to figure out
> that the training was supposed to take place in the Barracks while the units
> were built.
>
> So I have written a small modification to helpdata.c to improve this
> sentence:
>
> - for terrestrial units, it will show: "May become veteran through combat or
> training (if built in a city with Barracks or in a civilization with an
> active Sun Tzu.)"

Hmm, how about "Will be built as a veteran unit in a city with a Barracks or
in a civilization with an active Sun Tzu, or can become a veteran through
combat."

or, if necessary to shorten it:

"Built as a veteran in a city with a Barracks or in a civilization with an
active Sun Tzu, or can become a veteran through combat."

"Built as a veteran with a Barracks or an active Sun Tzu, or can become a
veteran through combat."

> - for maritime units, it will show: "May become veteran through combat or
> training (if built in a city with Port Facility.)"

and so on

> - for planes and helicopters, the message will be: "May become veteran
> through combat or training (if built in a city with Airport.)"
>
> There are three exceptions, though: Triremes can't be built if you have Port
> Facility, because Navigation obsoletes them. However, they may become
> veteran if they survive in the high seas, so the message could say: "May
> become veteran through combat or training (if it survives in the high
> seas.)"; the other exceptions are Diplomats and Spies. They are too
> high-brow to attend Barracks, but Communist governments make them veteran,
> so the message is: "May become veteran through combat or training (if built
> under a
> communist government.)"
>
> These are the special cases I have thought of. Perhaps rulesets can be
> twisted to make Port Facilities without Navigation, but I really think this
> new messages would help newbies.
>
> I don't especially like the wording. Feel free to change it.
>
> As for the online manual, the mentions to Barracks, Sun Tzu and the like
> could link to the proper pages. I can update it once we have a final
> version.
>
> The diff file is for trunk/client/helpdata.c
>
> Cheers,
>
> Joan
> Note: This is an HTML message. For security reasons, only the raw HTML code
is shown. If you trust the sender of this message then you can activate
formatted HTML display for this message by clicking here.