I think you mean EFT_VETERAN_BUILD. I would try to make it shorter, though.
I think your suggestion is great for the general manual, but here we are
dealing with the individual unit help. The original sentence ("may become
veteran throught training or combat") was definitely too short, but this is
probably too much. And we have to think that this will be read by complete
newbies. You don't want to bother them with rulesets.

I see your point, though. Borrowing also from Randy's, how about:

Will be built as a veteran in certain cities (see Barracks, and Sun Tzu).
May also become veteran if it defeats an enemy unit.

I don't like the "certain" word, but it's a start. I think it's important to
refer them to other parts of the manual, where they will get the full
explanation, while keeping it short.

                                  Joan