On 1/4/08, William Allen Simpson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> As to the original report:
>
> # When I change the values from within the start screen, the old values
> are
> # used in the new game, instead of the new ones. This is a bug.
> #
> As I mentioned, this is because the server sends the old settings again,
> and
> wipes out the changes.  I'm trying to figure out a work around, and the
> only
> solution that I see for 2.1 is to save the settings as the dialog is
> closed.
>
> The original designer(s) had two menu items: save options and save options
> on exit.  That simply won't work here, as that menu isn't showing on the
> start screen!  (Apparently, the start page is a recent addition.)
>
> It could be argued that the menus should be there on the start page.  But
> many folks will depend on the save on exit, which won't work here.

Why is there save on exit?  Why not just save on closing the dialog(s)?

> If there's no good reason, I'll remove these menu items, instead....

One use for the "Save Options Now" item (in the menu "Game"
submenu "Options") is to save your local options (as well as CMA
presets, shown report columns, etc.; please look inside $HOME/
.civclientrc [or equivalent for your platform] to see just how much
other important information is saved there besides just the local
options [the relevant functions are {save,load}_options in client/
options.c]), after you have edited them to your liking. The "Save
Options on Exit" is there so that you don't have to do this manually
everytime you change these things. If you remove these items,
how do you propose that users go about saving these "settings",
conveniently? Furthermore, it is not automatic (i.e. whenever you
close the dialog as you suggest) to prevent clobbering your
existing civclientrc (e.g. when upgrading to a newer client version).